28 April 2013

The Quality Control Angel

I saw this on Facebook a few days ago and since reading it the first time, it's something that I've gone back to and re-read a couple of times.  I don't want to lose it so I'm posting it here for safekeeping! Enjoy!

Here is something I wrote when first we were given our little gift...sweet Nella, who came with an extra chromosome in her pocket, giving her the distinction known as Down syndrome. Three years down the road and a heart stretched more and more, I thank God for her:

“We’ve got an issue here” the quality control angel called out.  

“What’s the problem?” asked God, in a voice that already seemed to calm the concern.  
“It looks like an extra chromosome…one, two…yes, right here, an extra one.”  
Now smiling, God answered, “That’s not a quality concern…it is…a distinction…the Manual addresses it. You’re new on the line, aren’t you?”  
“Why yes…this is my first day,” apologized the angel-- searching through the manual for any reference to this.  
“I’ll talk you through it...there are just a few assembly modifications. First, locate the hug sensors. Do you see the dial?”
“Yes, right here…oh, I think I tickled her.”
“Turn it up.”
“How much?”
“All the way.”
“Done.”
“Now locate the two smile triggers— they are located on either side of that cute little button nose.”
“I found them.”
“Adjust them a little closer to the surface…closer…closer…perfect!”
“Is that it?” asked the obedient angel.
“Almost,” answered God. Now, very gently, open her heart.
That’s it. Measure two…no, make it three extra scoops of love.”
“Will it fit…it’s so tiny?”
“Oh, these little hearts stretch incredibly. It will fit.”
“Done…is that it?”
“One more thing…move her from the random distribution belt to the select premium belt.
These little ones aren’t just given to anyone."
"There…she’s done and ready to go,” announced the angel.
God stepped over, as if to inspect the handiwork of this new angel on the line.
But that wasn’t His intent.
Instead, He picked up this little one and held her close to His heart… holding her for so long the angel became concerned.
“Is she alright? Did I do everything as you instructed?”
Still holding her close, God said, “She’s perfect.
I just find it hard to let these special ones go, for they are Heaven to hold.”
And He gently kissed her cheek and sent her to our hearts.

—written by Rik Cryderman, the proud Poppa of one of these babies of distinction, Nella Cordelia Hampton.  To read more about Nella, check out her Mamma's blog: Kelle Hampton

No comments:

Post a Comment