21 December 2012

False Labor?

It's 4:30 AM and I can't sleep.

Yesterday I was 37 weeks and 1 day pregnant and I saw my high risk doctor for a regular check up.  All of the normal stuff checked out okay, I wasn't showing any impending signs of labor and we discussed "the plan" for baby's arrival as far as what time to be at the hospital the morning of January 2nd, where to go when we get there and what will happen after we arrive.

I began experiencing what I thought were Braxton-Hicks contractions around 10 PM last night and after a fitful few hours of rest (due to the repeating contractions), fully awoke around 2:30 AM to Matthew crying in his room.... while rocking him in my lap, I felt another contraction and decided to begin timing them after he went back to sleep.  After an hour, I'd been having contractions that were lasting from 50 seconds to a minute and twenty seconds and were coming every 7 minutes apart.... not sure whether or not to be concerned, I called the labor and delivery department at our local community hospital and spoke with the doctor on call.  She advised me that since my water hadn't broken, I should wait them out at home for at least another hour and if they increased in intensity (I'm calling them a 4 on a pain scale of 10) that I could head into the local hospital (and if I were in active labor, they'd transport me to Cleveland - although that process usually takes between 3 and 4 hours by the time they'd monitor me, get the paperwork completed for the squad and verify that I were stable enough to actually be transported), if the contractions remained the same or lessened in strength, I should come into the office in the morning and get checked or if my water were to break I should head straight to Cleveland as that's the planned destination for our delivery.  Since speaking with her about an hour and a half ago, I've showered and have continued to monitor the contractions.  They remain mostly unchanged, the intensity hasn't decreased, but hasn't increased enough that I'm overly concerned based upon what she had to tell me. 

I am not ready to have this baby.  My to-do list it still way to long and I haven't even begun to prepare to get me packed for an extended stay at the hospital nor do I have Matthew packed for his time away from home.  I'm going to continue to rest/relax as the doctor suggested for now and if baby doesn't arrive this morning, today will be the day that I get the basics prepared for us to be away from home.

**Update** It's been almost 12 hours since I wrote this post and I went to the doctor this morning to get checked out... I'm happy to report that the contractions weren't productive and didn't cause me to dilate overnight.  Hopefully I still have the 12 days I'm expecting to have between now and when the baby arrives and I can get to a place where I feel comfortable and ready to be away from home.  My plan for tonight?  Make some serious progress on that to-do list that has been haunting me!

No comments:

Post a Comment